Friday, March 18, 2011

We have arrived in China!

We have arrived in Shanghai, China!  Our flight got in on time we think, although to be honest by then we'd completely lost track of what time it really was.  The flight was good and smooth, and for the most part comfortable.  Although I (Rachel) have to say, about 3-4 hours before the flight was due to be over, I was very very ready to get off of that plane!  I felt pretty yucky for a little while, I don't know if it was the anxiety of it all or motion sickness or both - but some gingerale and crackers for breakfast and some pacing around the plane helped a bit.

Our guide was ready and waiting for us when we came out of baggage claim and customs.  It was fun having her there right in the front of the line of people with a sign that said, "Mr. and Mrs. Bennett."  Then the funniest part - I wish I had a picture of it - we had to continue down this corridor of people who were lined up waiting for people coming off of flights.  We curved around and walked with our train of suitcases through this roped off walkway lined with people on either side.  I leaned over to Jim and said, "Have you ever felt like you were in a parade in a foreign country?  I feel like I should be throwing candy!"

We got Skype working already and called back to home.  Was good to see my little girl all sleepy eyed and just waking up.  :)  Unfortunately we missed our bigger girl - she was off at art class for the morning.  Maybe tonight...

We have yet to get the Chinese phone we borrowed to make a call back to the US.  We borrowed this phone from a Chinese friend back at home, and we did receive a call on it, but when we tried to place a call it didn't work.  Hopefully we can get that ironed out so we have that to call home with.  It feels very strange being cut off from the easy communications that we are so used to at home.  Feels like my smart phone just got stupid.  :)

Well, we're going to get some sleep now.  They tell us it is 10:30 PM here, and after that long flight it feels like it too, thank goodness.  One verse to sign off with -


"And behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land: for I will not leave thee until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of."  Genesis 28:15




No comments:

Post a Comment